Friday, February 18, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things...

Do you remember that song from "The Sound of Music?"

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens.
Brown paper packages tied up with string
These are a few of my favorite things...

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into spring
These are a few of my favorite things...

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad.


So that's what I'm thinking about today.  I thought I'd show you a few of our favorite things.

It all started when Austin (our 6 year old) told me liked a new pillow I'd bought.  Kayla then told me something that she really liked.  Then Mr. Lovey mentioned something he liked a lot...  

Sometimes I look at magazines and other blogs and think to myself how empty and lifeless my own house feels... Then out of the clear blue someone in my precious family says something simple that makes it feel like home.  And now...on with our show.


 I love lamps!  They are my favorite way to light a room.  It all started 20 years ago in our tiny apartment.  Our bedroom had one overhead light and it was HARSH!  So beside our bed I put a TV tray (for a table -- because we were BROKE!) and on it -- one small lamp my husband made in high school.  And my love affair with lamps began.  The light they give is so warm and cozy.  

Here are a few of  the lamps we have in our house... 

A pair of ceramic based lamps for the living room


One small lamp on the bakers rack in the kitchen.


This little beauty on the piano in the front office. 


The two "buffet" lamps in our bedroom.


One lamp on the breakfast bar.


A pair of lovlies on the kid's computer table.


This one gives a nice glow.


This small night light lamp on the corner shelf in the dining room.


A pair for our bedside tables


This little guy for the kids' bathroom.  Wait till you see the close up of the shade :)



These two in Kayla's bedroom... I love the black shade with gold polkadots...





Then there are these other things that make our house a home... My family's favorites!

Lovey really likes the curtains at the windows.  I can't say I think they look great... but he really likes them.  Probably their simplicity.


Our plaque


Our ROSS coat hooks.


My little bird in the dining room... She looks like she's searching for a worm.


The new faucet in the kids' bathroom


My bathroom clock.  A girl's gotta be on time, you know.


My bathroom flower arrangement.  I'll share the story behind this someday...


Candles




My new pillow (the one Austin likes so much)



and last but not least,  Fleur de Lis.



Although our house isn't professionally decorated -- and there are certainly areas that look like a yard sale -- these are the special touches that make us feel at home.  They give us that special feeling you only get when you're home.

What are your favorite things?

Only By His Grace,

Billie 

3 comments:

  1. So many sweet things. And I believe you really can't have too many lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is so precious. I love your table clock and it looks like jewelery. The tall candle holder trio is so pretty. Thank you for making me ponder the question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love lamps! I wasn't in your home too many times when we lived there, (and it was a different house), but it always seemed very warm and welcoming. One of the things I remember and liked was a candle on a plate with coffee beans all around it. Your family knows that time you spend working and decorating your home means you care for them! That's why they like it. Have a great weekend, Billie!~

    ReplyDelete